Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Alfa Project

Wow, its been a very long time since I last posted here. Just sorta got busy with other things and little has happened electric car wise.

Its now official, the Alfa Project has begun. It is a project that started with another but I hope to finish this. A 79 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce was being converted to electric with an HPEVS AC-50 with the 96 volt Curtis AC Controller. The motor has been mounted to the transmission but no motor mounts have been fabricated. I do not know if it has a clutch or if its clutchless yet. I did not bother to ask that question. The car is in good condition and its color is Black. Top looks to be good but it is covered in lots of dust. The motor/controller are still new. The vehicle has no batteries yet but looks to have some electrical parts. I do not know if there is hidden rust which I found was an issue with these vehicles. But being a California car I'm not expecting that to be too much of an issue. I am going out in the morning to pick up the car. I should be home with the car before dark and hope to be able to give it a bath right away. Im looking forward to the build. The last EV conversion I rescued was the 77 MG Midget nick named the Black Midge. That was a fun little project too. It is living happily in Colorado as an all electric car even today. I hope to finish this build to a drivable vehicle quickly. I have the batteries and charger and I can even do this with a J1772 charge port.

The Alfa does have the larger uglier bumpers but they did do a nice job making even the smog year vehicles look half way decent by 79. Its a cool looking vehicle. Small for me but it still may be a decent fit. Looks to be plenty of room in the trunk and up front to mount batteries. The fuel tank area looks promising for a good chunk of battery. This would be a good candidate for Tesla Modules. Might have to go that route for this build.

More to come in the following days and weeks. My Bus Project is still moving forward. I now have all the stuff for that build to mount my AC-35. Slow project but still moving forward. The Red Roadster has stalled out but still in the works. Need to pull the tranny to fix a leak then re-install and finish the electrics.

Full time work takes precedence over any project. Lots to do there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment