Wednesday, July 20, 2016

E-Roadster Update

I also had more work done to my E-Roadster from my friend evmetro. I had him put in seat belt mounts for 3 point belts and a custom roll bar and to lower my seat rails. The roll bar that was in the vehicle was only for looks and not function. It would not have saved your head in any sort of roll over. The one in the beastie now will. It looks different than I  had expected but it is now safe and will protect the head as the head is below the top of the roll bar. The bar is mounted on some solid bases and mounted in a 3 point format. So now I will put in the controller and electronics and get it all working properly and when that is done I will remove all the components and take it down to a bare body with the body off the pan and restore the body to its former glory and repair any rust and crinkled metal with new metal and then repaint it Ferrari Red like the original. I will also restore the pan unless of course someone decides they want to buy the resurrected beastie. It is for sale for the right price. Always has been.

Might do the Ghia but more than likely I will also sell that at the next Bug-O-Rama this Sept in Sacramento.

The Roadster will be taken there to show its progress. Ghia will be driven there so it can be sold.

The Roll bar makes the car look funny compared to without one. I may build one for show and keep this one for race. But its those seats I have in the car. The head rest is not truly a head rest. Its more like a shoulder rest. So with that little dinky thing against that roll bar it looks rather odd. However  I can assure you that my head is not far below the roll bars so looks fine when sitting in the vehicle.

Poor beastie is so dirty and dusty.

I also need to work on the brakes up front and I may have a leak in the rear drivers side brake. Time to dig in.



I had sent my AC-35 down to HPEVS and they put on the proper face plate for mounting to an adapter and also put in the proper encoder needed for street use vs industrial cart use. They also upgraded my 96 volt 650 amp controller with the newest software. I now have loads of things that will make tuning better. This setup will be going into my VW Bus and I will be using this with a 120 volt system. 16 Leaf Modules in series and 5 sets in parallel for a 30kWh pack. That should give me a decent distance. A good amount of these modules will fit where the old fuel tank resides totally out of the way. That will be cool.

When they sent my motor/controller back they boxed up the motor and controller separate. The motor is in a decent box and fitted with large poly type foam that will last for ever. The ends support the motor in the box and if that box did fall the motor would be quite safe. Im keeping my box just in case I ever need to ship or transport it for repair or what ever. I suggest you do the same if you happen to purchase one of these fine motors. Im pleased that it is back. Not to get the adapter plate and clutch and pressure plate installed. I am keeping the stock transmission but using a nicely done lightened flywheel. No need for more than stock on this puppy. If however I find I need a better pressure plate I can get one easily.

Now to move forward with my Bus project.

Pete :)