Thursday, March 3, 2016


Not sure how many know that I was able to purchase an AC-35 last year with all the goodies that go with it. It was from a guy that was going to build an EV but abandoned the project. I think I figured out why. I had purchased a motor adapter from ThunderStruck Motors for the AC-35 and up motors and those that might be using the Warp9 and similar with the same bolt pattern. Comes to find out that the face plate of the motor is not a B-Face plate. It is a flat C-Face style used in industrial carts and mining equipment. But not for use with the modern adapters for mounting to your car. I talked with them yesterday and they are going to put on the proper end plates and change the encoder for use in an automobile for a very reasonable price. Still leaves me at a much lower cost than if I had purchased this brand new. They are also going to upgrade the 120 volt controller to the most current software if needed. That is a bit more expensive than I had hoped but it will again be much cheaper overall for this package than buying new by a long shot. I do know the motor runs because I connected it to my DIY inverter. However I was unable to utilize the encoder. Im guessing it is not compatible with the inverters requirements or its just not working. Which it could be. I think the guy I got it from purchased it used as well. But anyway this VW Bus project is now moving forward once again.

Today I am going to setup my Synkromotive Controller Demo Board so I can charge a bank of batteries utilizing my DC old transformer style DC Battery Charger. It is a step-down transformer from 120 volts to 24 volts. I won't be charging at a high rate but it will serve the purpose of showing the charging abilities of the controller utilizing any DC source. So far I have used a large 48 volt bank of batteries and my old 240 DC welding machine to charge my batteries. Im doing this for a few folks who wish to utilize the Synkromotive as a charger. Once I have my beastie back I will be setting that up to charge my pack from wall AC then doing another video for that.

My DIY inverter project will continue and I will be trying to setup a way to connect the motor and Diesel engine together via belt drive to make this work. It really is just a matter of connecting the two and giving it a go. I was going to connect a DC motor to the AC motor and do a test that way. Might be an easier task. Maybe. I guess I'll need to bust out the welder and hack saw and weld up some brackets.

As you can see the face plate is flat and doesn't have the 4" step for centering an adapter plate and the bolt holes are too large and not far enough out to the edge. The B-Face end plate will be my ticket.

The motor tag clearly states that this is a true AC-35 motor and not one of those old AC-30 motors being touted as an AC-36 motor.

In my searching for some new old stock of Synkromotive controllers I had found someones build. It was a build of a 240Z and he used what looks to be a Warp9 motor and the Synkromotive Controller. It is a very clean build and I love the way this guy took his time in making the wiring look very very clean and tidy. This level of care is what we should all aspire to do for our own conversions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment