Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Electric VW

The project has begun. It will be an interesting project as we not only will be converting it to electric but I am going to try my hand at roll on paint. It will require lots of sanding between coats but I want to do a good job. I have been reading up on the process. The wife asked which motor was going in last night. I said either the old GE that was in the first Ghia or the large Kostov motor. She said that huge thing! I said yup with a smile on my face. I need to order some rubber parts for the car as well as seat covers and carpet and dash pads. All of which are available to make the car look like it was when new. I want an nice after market steering wheel too. I am not sure yet how low we will make the car. We will retain the original transmission which will limit our speed but it will still be freeway drivable. If we keep the car we will replace the transmission with a nice pro street with the 3.44:1 R/P gear set. After driving Jack Rickards Duh I liked the way the car shifted and ran. Smoothly.

I may even try my hand at belly pans with this build. There is plenty of space both width and length to make a nice pair of shallow belly pans. Now I need to figure out how to keep the cells from sliding around in the belly pan. In other words how do I keep them from sliding so I don't short out the tops because the pan will be an aluminum pan.

Here is the link to the photo album of the car as it sits on the trailer the morning after we towed it home. It is as we purchased the car. The cars purchase price with a good non-op pink was only $1300. That is an excellent price for such a solid vehicle. If you do purchase a like vehicle do be prepared to do some work. But I put this out there because you need to know that you can find good solid projects for a decent price still. They can be hard to find but they are out there. With patience you will find your project and for goodness sake don't get sucked into a rust bucket.


Photo Album of the Project Ghia







No comments:

Post a Comment