Friday, August 30, 2013

A little headway

I went to the Bearing and Chain store in town and picked up two pulleys and taper lock bushings for my small Diesel engine and DC starter/generator for my DC generator project. I got both the pulleys installed and ready to go. Now all I need to do is bust out the TIG welder and sawzall and build a frame for both components. One pulley is 6" and the other is 4". I wanted to do a 2 to 1 but the small pulley was too fat to allow good grip on the motor shaft so I went with a taller pulley and narrower one that will allow full grip on the motor shaft. I should have enough grip to at least make a test to see how well this system will work. If it produces good power I may even try to see how well the motor runs with this connected directly and use the clutch and throttle of the generator to adjust speed. I will need to provide good cooling for the little DC generator. It is mostly for doing stationary DC charging for my VW Roadster setup. I am truly hoping for good results since my controller can do any DC source. I can use the throttle for the engine to regulate the generator and keep it at a constant speed. DC motor should pump out 36 volts and up to 400 amps of oomph.

Pete :)

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when I get home. I'll also get my welder and supplies ready for the frame build. Pics are always good. I'll need to build a way to hold the motor steady too. Should be pretty easy. I have pretty crude tools here so don't expect super clean looking stuff. I'd do thick aluminum but don't have any of that so I must use square steel stock and flat plate for the adjustable base. The electric motor will be on the adjustable base. Diesel will not.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your ideas. You can also find the details on Drive Parts Direct, at the Metal Parts Taper Lock Pulleys SPA Section. Drive Parts Direct aims to provide you with a convenient “one stop shop” for all your Power Transmission component requirements.

    ReplyDelete