Well the Kelly SepEx controller is toast. So I decided to mix it up and put in a series beta controller and jumper the starter/generator motor so it can run in series like mode. I connected the controller up and hooked up the PB-6 which is is designed to use and had some strange results. See the video, it explains it better. The PB-6 is just crap. It was one of those Clone PB-6 potentiometers on the market. Maybe that is why I had some weird stuff going on with my first ever conversion before I went to the Synkromotive and the Evnetics throttle potentiometer. Well anyway the potentiometer was toast and I found another I had lying around and found that it worked but not until I mounted yet another controller. The other controller was that Huge Kelly controller that I had gotten when I had first got the MG conversion. If you remember it fried within 5 minutes of connecting it and before any full on power was ever applied. Well it was sent back and returned fixed at no charge and it works. Well when I first connected it up to the potentiometer it did not work. Period. But it did tell me I had a fault. The Kelly will tell you will blinking lights in specific sequences that a problem has been encountered. Well the problem was a throttle fault code and no matter what I did it would not release the code. The Beta Controller has no such system and it is non computer adjustable. So the Kelly assured me it was the throttle and I went on the hunt to find an old potentiometer and I found one that was not installed in a box and never used. It will work in the PB-6 box. So once that was connected it worked flawless. Well sorta.
What I found was that the lower edge of the controller even in the brief non load running of the controller was just getting a bit warm. After less than 5 minutes of playing and NO load on the controller the bottom edge was so hot it was nearly untouchable. This is not a good thing. Not sure why. I make mention of that in the flick.
I will assume that since I replaced the potentiometer I will be able to get the Beta unit to run. It is to be driven with no heat sink to see if it will go into thermal cut back mode.
I sent into Kelly a report of the excess over heating of the one side of the controller. Other than that the controller functioned exactly as expected and feels pretty powerful too.
That is this weeks musings. More to come.
First part of the flick is with the Beta Unit and the other is with the Fat Kelly Controller.